ToppersI still haven't taken pictures of my Thanksgiving dress because I'm super lazy, so that will have to wait a few days. In the mean time, I thought I'd show you two tops I made a few weeks ago.
I, like most seamstresses, tend to make mostly dresses because, well, they're more fun... But I've been trying to up my separates game, especially when it comes to tops, so I have something to wear with slacks when it gets cold. Here are two steps in that direction...
First, I made a Pendrell! I'm going to be trite and reiterate what all the other bloggers have said, this pattern is fabulous! It was easy to put together and I really like the way it fits and looks. I finished the inside with french seams, which I know is crazytown on a princess seamed blouse but it worked out all right. It's made with a poly charmuese (sp?) from JoAnns.
So here's the problem... I didn't notice until it was already finished that I inserted the sleeves unevenly! Luckily you can't really tell because of the pattern, so I pointed it out for you. Yikes! Somehow they're even on the back but not on the front! I asked my co-workers if it was super obvious and they said they couldn't really tell so I'm going to ignore it, instead of ripping it all apart and re-doing it.
Next up is a tie-front blouse from the 10/2010 issue of Burda. This was made with yet another poly charmuese from JoAnns. Clearly I have an addiction to super difficult to work with fabric.
I think I like this blouse in theory more than in actuality. Even though I cut the tie smaller than the instructions called for, the slippery, heavy fabric is making the bow hang strangely. I think overall it's fine, but I don't love it the way I thought I would.
Despite the problems though, yay for new tops!