Sewing Updates

9:03 PM 3 Comments A+ a-

So I've actually gotten some sewing done in the past few weeks! But it's hard to get good pictures since I live by myself, so I don't have a reliable photographer...
Anyway, first dress is from Simplicity 2178, a Cynthia Rowley pattern made from a black sheet from Walmart. The pattern is one of the new spring Simplicity patterns and I loved it the minute I saw it. This is one of those projects that I started intending to wear it to an event and didn't finish it, then tried to finish it for another event and didn't, then did finish it in time for an event but decided not to wear it... Bottom line, it still hasn't seen the light of day but it's a really cute dress and fairly easy to put together, except for the weird pleats and gathers on the skirt...

Next up is a top from Butterick 4132, made with a polka dot satin blend from JoAnns. This top turned out cute but was sort of a nightmare to sew! The instructions on attaching the facings and finishing the armholes were crazy confusing and didn't work at all, so I ended up just folding over the armholes and top stitching... Anyway, it's a good work top so I can't complain!
Finally, this dress is from Simplicity 0599, from the Project Runway line. It's made from a black and white linen from JoAnns. This dress is inspired by a dress from the last scene of She's Out of My League, which I of course couldn't find a picture of, so you'll just have to trust me. The straps were a bit of a problem but overall it came together fairly easily. I underlined the bodice and added a lining to the skirt because the linen was fairly see-through. Love the pockets! I'm considering only making dresses with pockets from now on...

Now I'm working on the skirt on the right (the view the model's wearing) in the floral print. I've gotten so far but my now my machine is freaking out when I try to topstitch the bias tape trim. I'm thinking about putting it away for a few days so I don't rip my hair out and either working on the vintage pjs on the left of the picture or maybe something entirely new. I'm having the same issue that I have when I finish all the books I'm reading, there's too many possibilities for something new and I can't choose just one!

Ready for the weekend!

3 comments

Write comments
Gail
AUTHOR
May 4, 2011 at 7:22 AM delete

All great items. I especially like the top and skirt combination. Your new floral fabric is amazing.

Reply
avatar
Dibs
AUTHOR
May 4, 2011 at 8:39 AM delete

Good for you. They all look really good. Are you participating in Me Made June? I can't wait to see how the other projects turn out.

Reply
avatar
Rebecca
AUTHOR
May 4, 2011 at 2:24 PM delete

Wow! You have been doing a ton of sewing. All three things looks amazing. :]

Reply
avatar