Assembly Line Skirts
First of all, thanks so much for all the sweet birthday comments! It was an excellent birthday, so thanks for being a part of it!
Secondly, After my successful denim pencil skirt, I have been on a pencil skirt making craze! I've been using McCalls 6038, which is a simple, quick pattern that I highly recommend. These skirts were made with different quilting cottons from JoAnns and lined with muslin. I used Dib's Assembly line technique for cutting the skirts and lining. I took this picture to demonstrate the layering of the fabric, plus my new favorite cutting aid, clothes pins. However, the cat had to get involved... But back to the clothespins, so useful for keeping fabric taut and on grain by attaching the fabric to the cutting mat! I first started using them for a really slippery jersey but they worked great for the layers I was cutting for the skirts too.
The denim skirt took around an hour altogether but these skirts took significantly longer due to the lining. Also, when I made the denim skirt, I cut an 8 but found it a little baggy in the hips. Also, it spun around a little as a sat, which makes me crazy! I figured I could shrink the denim in hot water but I decided to cut the cotton skirts in a 6 to avoid the problem. Now I find them a little tight... I guess it will be motivation to lose the 5 lbs I've gained this summer! Also, a couple more projects like this and I will be so ready for the next Me Made or Self Stitched!
This is my last day of my epic 5 day birthday weekend so I'm heading over to the boyfriend's empty house to watch DVR'd episodes of True Blood and cut out a mountain of projects for the next few weeks.
Have a great Tuesday!