Somewhere over the rainbow

3:43 PM 4 Comments A+ a-

For some reason I've had it in my head for months that I wanted to make a rainbow striped skirt. I don't know why but I scoured Etsy forever looking for just the right fabric. This was not necessarily it, but it is cute, and this end of bolt piece was really cheap, so I went with it...

PS It's Michael Miller's Spa Scallop Stripe.

I originally thought I wanted a more a-line shape but there wasn't much fabric (like maybe 3/4 of a yard), so I went with a simple pencil skirt pattern with facings, New Look 6107. This is actually one of two pieces I've made recently from this pattern. The second is coming up soon.



I'm pretty pleased with this pattern overall. It fits well, better than some other pencil skirt patterns I've used in the past and it's obviously very easy to put together. The one problem with this skirt is revealed below. My stripes don't match in the back! Or rather, they do at the top (as seen in the picture below the one below), but then they pass the zipper and get a little wonky. It's especially disappointing because this is the only part of the skirt where I even tried to match stripes! I didn't have enough fabric to match the sides, so I lined up the stripes, but the colors don't match up.  




See how they matched at first?



I can't remember now if the waistband is cut sideways in the pattern or if I just did that as a design element... Either way, I think it looks pretty cool. You can also see my polka dot facing, proving that I barely made it with the amount of fabric I had...




So there you go, yet another pencil skirt. My love of them will never falter. Sorry I've been a bad blogger lately, there's been some stress and craziness in my life lately but I'm hopefully back on track to show you the abundance of dresses I've made lately.

Enjoy the last day of July lovelies! We're on the downhill slope of summer...

4 comments

Write comments
Macska
AUTHOR
August 1, 2012 at 3:40 AM delete

Very cute! First time I've seen a scalloped stripe pattern like that - love it. :-) (I also really like your polka-dot waistband interfacing - it's fun!)

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
August 1, 2012 at 4:49 PM delete

Really cute! I love the polka dot contrast, too! :)

Reply
avatar
Heather
AUTHOR
August 2, 2012 at 11:59 PM delete

What an adorable skirt! I love the fabric choice, especially paired with the polkadot facing. :D

Reply
avatar
Meg the Grand
AUTHOR
August 6, 2012 at 12:50 PM delete

I love your fabric! It works perfectly as a pencil skirt - just the right thing to add a little color into your work day!

Reply
avatar