Wedding Dress: The Inspiration

11:08 PM 6 Comments A+ a-

I spent the weekend before last beginning the work on my wedding dress and I'll continue to work on it this weekend, so I thought I start to show you what's going on. This post will be about my inspiration for my dress and the next few posts will show you "the plan" and the beginnings of the process.

From the beginning I knew I wanted a short dress for several reasons.

One, the style of the wedding will be pretty casual and the reception will be outdoors in hot Texas so I knew a ballgown wouldn't really work.

Two, I'm a pretty simple girl who doesn't wear a lot of jewelry or like a lot of embellishments or accessories, etc and because I was planning on making the dress myself, I didn't want to attempt something super elaborate with a bustle or detailed beading or anything that would be really complicated and not feel like me anyway.

PS The guiding principle of all my wedding planning thus far has been "does it feel like me?" Is this a slightly fancier, white version of a dress I would wear to a party? Is this the kind of food I would serve if I was having people over for dinner? Does this look similar to the style my house is decorated in? etc. It makes trimming down all the options a lot easier!

Three, the fiance and I love to dance and we would both be annoyed by tripping over a long dress.

Four, I love shoes and I bought fabulous ones for the wedding and I don't want to hide them under a huge skirt.

So it's a short dress for me, and a strapless one. (again because of the heat factor)

       
  
Here are the exact shoes I'm wearing, which are fabulous, and obviously the reason for a short dress.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 





 
 
 
 
 
 
 

The only thing I'm still slightly undecided about is the drape of the bodice. I'm planning on using a bodice pattern with a sweetheart neckline and draping lace over it (more on the lace in my next post), but I'm not sure how exactly I want it to look. Here are some ideas...

       

So that's the inspiration! We'll see how it works out!

All images from this pinterest board

6 comments

Write comments
liza jane
AUTHOR
January 19, 2013 at 10:10 AM delete

I love the first one with the polka dot lace. I love short dresses. I hear you on the heat issue. I got married in December, but if it had been in the summer I would've gone short. Good luck!

Reply
avatar
January 19, 2013 at 12:04 PM delete

your inspiration pictures are great! i too love the first one, and also the second one. i'll be looking foward to read more on how you plan to use the lace... i am a "less is more" kind of girl, so i would try to showcase the lace in the best (read simplest) way!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
January 19, 2013 at 7:12 PM delete

This is going to be so cute! Can't wait to see what you make!

Reply
avatar
Unknown
AUTHOR
February 26, 2013 at 4:31 AM delete

The only thing I'm still slightly undecided about is the drape of the bodice. I'm planning on using a bodice pattern with a sweetheart neckline and draping lace over it (more on the lace in my next post), but I'm not sure how exactly I want it to look.wedding dress

Reply
avatar
Dresses
AUTHOR
March 15, 2013 at 2:09 AM delete

I love this all wedding dresses and your blog page. Thanks for shared this one.

Reply
avatar
Tericks
AUTHOR
November 22, 2013 at 12:34 PM delete

This is exactly the kind of list every bride must have. Looking for a wedding dress is exciting, but without a clear view on what kind of dress you envision yourself to wear on your big day can be daunting. You might end up with a dress that is beautiful, but doesn’t really reflect your personality.

Teri Hughes @ CelestinaBridal.com

Reply
avatar