Unexpected Progress!

9:37 PM 5 Comments A+ a-

I had some unexpected time to sew yesterday and was actually able to finish two dresses! The first is a dress I started a million years ago and never finished because I had several problems with the construction. I was inspired by last week's Sew Weekly challenge to pull it out of the pile and get it done! It's made with white stretch cotton from JoAnns and Butterick 5314, view C. Finishing this dress was an opportunity to see how much progress I've made in my sewing skills. Some of the things that stumped me on this dress a year ago were super easy to fix now. It's not perfect but it's definitely wearable. Unfortunately, in the process of being stuffed in a corner somewhere for over a year, the dress developed a stain on the upper left bodice, so rather than fret I pinned on a flower and I'm calling it my Carrie dress after the season of Sex and the City where Carrie wore giant flowers on all of her clothes. I should really bring that back...

(PS sorry for the weird faces I'm making in these pictures!)



Secondly, I was able to finally finish the Fabulously 80's dress! I really thought this one was not going to work out for a while, but somehow it magically came together last night. I'm wearing it today and I completely love it! Apparently it's all about tightening the elastic in the waist... Also, I found a use for this weird belt I bought a while back. Score!




Almost Friday my loves!

5 comments

Write comments
emmalemma
AUTHOR
July 7, 2011 at 10:06 AM delete

Very cute! And congrats on finishing up some UFOs!

Do you think that you could dye your stained dress? Otherwise you could treat it with Oxyclean and maybe it will wash out.

Reply
avatar
Rebecca
AUTHOR
July 7, 2011 at 5:31 PM delete

I love that green polka dot dress! I agree, maybe you could dye it? If you want to get the stain out, I have found that Dawn dish soap will sometimes get out stains that something like Shout won't. ( I am quite messy, so I have learned how to get out stains, lol. )

Reply
avatar
Gail
AUTHOR
July 7, 2011 at 6:20 PM delete

Both dresses look fabulous. Love the green spots and creme sheath is just plain classy.

Reply
avatar
Forrest
AUTHOR
July 10, 2011 at 5:07 PM delete

Thanks ladies! I thought about dying it, but I'm worried it won't dye evenly. I'm going to try stain removal at home, and I might eventually move to dye if that doesn't work...

Reply
avatar
Meg the Grand
AUTHOR
July 13, 2011 at 10:17 AM delete

Love the dresses, but I am definitely a fan of the huge flower! Carrie Bradshaw dress indeed!

Reply
avatar