Summer Stripes

10:04 AM 5 Comments A+ a-

A few weeks ago I showed you my huge stack projects that took a Game of Thrones season 2 marathon to get cut out and marked. I seem to have gotten my sewing mojo back because I've been powering through the pile of projects! I'm sewing like a maniac these days! Anyway, I have a ton of things to show you but not all of them are photographed because I'm lazy and the light hasn't been great in the apartment lately. Hopefully I'll get to have a photo shoot this week but in the meantime, here's one of the things I did manage to photograph.

I've had these two dresses on my Pinterest board for awhile and I found the perfect fabric on Fabricmart last year but never got around to getting the dress made until last week.


Source: corrico.com via Forrest on Pinterest

So this is the final product. I really like the way it turned out and because it's sort of loose-fitting it's really comfortable. I used Simplicity 2054 , one of the Cynthia Rowley patterns, and pretty much followed the directions except for the neck band. I realized as I was sewing it that I cut the band in the wrong direction, so it wouldn't stretch enough and I didn't want to cut out another, so I just turned the edge and it worked out fine.


So here's the major problem, the back is crazy baggy. I thought about putting a seam down the back to control some of the extra fabric but it fits pretty well in the hips and butt and I don't want to make it any tighter in those areas. Also, I'm not sure if taking it in on the sides would do enough without warping the shape of the dress. And again, I like the loose fit and don't really want to lose that. Anybody have any suggestions?

It's not too awful looking from the side, and I've worn it twice since I made it with no "what is wrong with the back of your dress?" comments, so I might just live with it if I can't think of a good solution.

PS this is definitely one of those projects that was so fast and easy that I couldn't understand why the heck it took me so long to make it! This is going to be a great, easy, throw on dress on days I don't really want to think about what to wear...

Anyway, hope you all have a fabulous week! I'm starting my new job today so wish me luck!

5 comments

Write comments
Anonymous
AUTHOR
June 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM delete

I do love this fabric and the dress is divine. I think your problem might be swayback? Ideally you would take a chunk of fabric out of the offending area (kinda like a wedge) but with the stripes etc that might be a bit difficult. I'd live with it as is for now but adjust the pattern for next time. Here's just one link to solving the issue anyway - am sure there are many more expert guides :) http://buzzybeesworld.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/sway-back-alterations-my-analysis.html

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
June 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM delete

Gorgeous! I love this dress! And good luck with your new job! I agree with Joanne-- next time you want to take a wedge out of your pattern piece to remove the excess fabric. I have to make this alteration fairly often.

Reply
avatar
Sara
AUTHOR
June 19, 2012 at 1:57 PM delete

belt it! and blouse the front a little over the belt so the saggyness in the back looks intentional.

Reply
avatar
Meg the Grand
AUTHOR
June 20, 2012 at 1:43 PM delete

I'm with Sara - a fabulously chunky belt will hide the back issues perfectly :) I LOVE this dress - your stripe matching is spot on - and it looks so comfortable!

Reply
avatar